Monday, April 11, 2016

The Early Garden Struggles into Being


The strong winds have been a little rough on the early garden. I've even had to water four times. The hoops did warm the soil and I got the onions, Melody Spinach, Easter Egg Radishes and 4-Seasons lettuces planted.  Little Sweetie snow peas (Stokes) are ready to grow up the sticks. A few days ago, I found a spot for the Swiss Chard, soon to appear.

This bed has more leafy greens-to-be, onions and some larkspur at the far end. Against the fence is the Cottage Corner bed. Every few years some of the perennial flowers get overtaken by grasses and I dig them up and plant some other perennials. This year, I said farewell to a Shasta Daisy and one Missouri Primrose.

The blue bucket has a cracked bottom, so rainwater drains right out. This corner area was used for trash burning by the former owners. I dug out the rusted burn barrel bottom, but every time I work the soil, old rusty nails surface, along with odd things like watches. I toss all the junk in the blue bucket.

The broccoli and cabbages aren't making great growth. It could be the desiccating high winds or the eighty degree days followed by freezing nights.  They will come through. I put  buckets over them the other night when the temperature got down to twenty-three degrees. They can take a bit of a chill, but nothing akin to midwinter. I could cover them with the hoops but they don't like heat.

It's amazing that more people don't garden. It's so relaxing.