Thursday, April 7, 2016

Lining Up on the Runway


I'm just waiting for the frost-free date, whenever that might be. Meanwhile, some of the plants have gotten too big for their britches. Those guys, like the Evening Primroses above, have been put in bigger pots., which they quickly grew into.
The plants in the red pots are butterfly bushes. They are tricky to grow from seed. When one hundred seeds are offered in a package it's a tip-off that the seed will be as tiny as dust and thinning will be a challenge. I managed to get four started this time. Colors will be a surprise.

In the back are Love Lies Bleeding. Sounds gory, but I always wanted to try them. They are from Stokes Seeds.

The new babies are some Lady Seymour Pinks. I got a little carried away and started two dozen, for a border edging.

Last year, grasshoppers ate the Bishop's Children (that really sounds gory) Dahlias, so I had to have some more of those. There are petunias, gazanias, coleus, portulaca, Early Sunrise Coreopsis, Pacifica Vinca and Victoria Salvia waiting for clearance to take off.

Now that it's April, everyone can go out  in the daytime. Finding spots out of the fierce wind has been challenging. A person would think there would be one lee side of the house.

This is the time when I ask myself why I needed so many of any one plant. The answer is I'm a gardener. That's what we do. Finding room for all these guys, plus the many day lilies I ordered, will be fun.

It's been rather dry, so I've had an opportunity to dig up some weeds and cultivate for the new arrivals. Actually, that's putting it too mildly. Basically, I knocked myself out with the weeder, the turning fork and Tillie, the Mantis tiller. There were great tubs of weeds that I pulled up. Somewhere in one of those piles is my favorite hand hoe, lost in the frenzy.

The Swiss Giant Pansies got to be planted in the real dirt, because they supposedly can take a light frost. I was very excited. The fence is to keep the hens out.

Of course, the trick is whisking all nine trays of plants back inside when there is sudden hail. So far, it's only happened once and the hail was tiny.