Friday, April 22, 2016

R.I.P. Rooster

Rooster is seen no more. I spotted what was either his body or a big pile of his feathers lodged far up in the shallow underside of the playhouse, inaccessible to me.

I almost got new chicks at the feed store, but decided to just manage on the three bothersome hens for the present. They have a habit of scratching up flower beds in order to make dust baths, never the same area twice. More little fences are in order.

Life goes on for the hens after the passing of Rupert. They hang around together or go their own ways, occasionally laying an egg. I believe they designate a layer every few days so they appear to be useful. Or it could be only one of them is still laying. Buffy produces a soft-shelled egg occasionally.  It's very quiet without Rupert's crowing.

On a happier note, some much-needed rains brought out the morels.

The day before yesterday, there they were, popping up big and easy to find. The undergrowth is springing up with the rain, so every day they will be more elusive.

These were drying some out a bit on top, but they were quite delicious. This is a regular size dinner plate.

The rains were most welcome because every day that it was dry, I was out digging and planting and thought my labors would never end. However, I did get the main garden cultivated and planted to beans, black-eyed peas, zucchini, corn and parsnips.

The farmers were driving down the gravel/dirt road as if to a fire, creating clouds of dust. I was forced to wear a surgical mask whenever I heard them coming, because my place is on the north side of the road and the wind is usually from the south.

Even though there could be a later frost, I took a cue from the farmers and went ahead and planted the potted flowers. That freed up the pots for transplanting the tomatoes and peppers. They are getting bigger out on the back deck and front porch.

Suddenly, all green things have broken loose. Mowing will be the order of the day when it dries out a bit. Meanwhile, there was another shower last night, so Lissa is coming up for a morel hunt. I hate to admit it, but she is much better than finding them than I am.