Thursday, April 10, 2014

Still in Missouri

Damaging tornadoes nearby lately sent me down to the fruit cellar, to hang out with the two bats.

After a sunrise rain shower, this beautiful double rainbow seemed to promise less destructive weather.



I'm still waiting for warmer and drier days so I can plant the garden.


Lots of interesting wildlife sightings lately. The local dogs had something up the tree across the way. I went over to see if Miss Naughty Kitty needed rescuing. It turned out to be a fat groundhog, which chattered at me and Beau.

Last evening, I saw a flock of geese flying low over the river. I believe they were daredevils, flying under the bridge.

Then there was a formation of six herons that flew over me another day. It was quite a surprise, since I have rarely seen more than one of those huge birds at a time.

One small Painted Turtle is now sunning on the limb sticking out in the pond.

Less welcome animals were the SEVEN large calves in my front yard. When I called the cattle guy, he told me they fixed the fences, but these black critters proved otherwise. Beau loves to chase them off the property.

These daffodils are so bright and cheery.








I'm making myself cut more firewood for next winter. After such a bitterly cold long winter, I feel like Scarlett O'Hara. "As God is my witness, I'll never be chilly again. If I have to run the chain saw, split wood and carry it, I'll never be chilly again."
Osage Orange, known locally as hedgeapple, is full of BTU's and looks so pretty when cut. Thank goodness I have an electric log splitter; this stuff is extremely dense. As must I be to cut and haul it.