Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Lifelike Lawn Art

The cows haven't been on my side of the road for very long. They are in a lush field of grass and clover, with a lovely pond surrounded by shady trees.
True to form, they waited until the ground was nice and soft from gentle rains so they could leave deep tracks. There was also another calf that followed them, leaving the birdbath reeling as it ran past. Cows aren't especially interesting but they do leave a lasting impression. Thank goodness that I fenced the garden. The day they moved back into the field, I went up and fixed the gate on the remote garden. I knew the cows would be out before long. It isn't much of a gate but should keep those big critters out.
Not wishing to sound like a big whiny crybaby, but busting sod has proved to be a lot of hard work. First, I mowed, then scalped, then dug up the small tree stumps.
Then I hopped on the shovel and loosened the thick mat of grass roots. It was the only time I wished I weighed more. Before the soil could get too dry, I carried Tillie up there and bounced it over the ground. The Mantis has plenty of horsepower but not much weight. My big Troy-Built has heft but is a bear to turn at the end of the row. Tillie was actually fine for the job, but it was a bit like hanging on to a bucking bronco, not that I ever have.
This went on for several days. I picked out grass clumps and poison ivy vines and made a new compost heap in the fence corner. Finally, it started to look good. Beau thought I went to all that trouble so he could be comfortable in the dirt.
Only two-thirds more to do, but a few days of rain have halted the project and given me and my arms a chance to rest up for the next assault.