Sunday, January 1, 2012

Chain Saw Grandma

There seems to be some novelty in a woman running a chain saw.  When I bought the current formidable tool, the girl at the farm store checkout said most women were afraid to even touch one.  The people there were staring at me as if I were riding a unicycle.

I didn't mention to her that this was my third chain saw, having worn out the previous ones over the years.  I select one that will not be too heavy for my back.

Why everyone thinks chain saws are guy things is that they are noisy, powerful and dangerous.

In the kitchen, using the electric mixer requires that you not try and lick the beaters while they are running. You just have to be mindful of what you're doing.  If you can make brownies, you can run a chain saw.

My earlier problem with the chain saws was I had a terrible struggle in starting them.  Then my son Chris, who cuts most of the wood for me with his bigger, more powerful saw, showed me how to slip a two by four into the handle and step on it while pulling the cord.  After that, the worst hurdle was over; I could spend many happy hours cutting firewood.

                                                   I am Not a Feller
Although I have cut down small trees with my little chain saw, I'm not a good feller of trees.  I prefer to cut limbs that are already down.  I love to watch Chris, from a safe distance, as he brings down a huge tree.  He cuts up the big parts and I drive them up to the electric log splitter.

                                           Whistler's Mother in the Morning
To ease into an afternoon of running the saw, I eat brunch and knit for at least an hour.  The light is good by the front window then.  I imagine the mailman notices me sitting there in my rocker.  Perhaps he has an image of me as a somewhat sedentary little old lady. 

My granddaughter Carolyn, who is fourteen, loves to tell people that her Grammie knits socks and runs a chain saw.