Wednesday, September 21, 2022

                                                 What's New: Greenhouse

 

Last October, my son-in-law began building the greenhouse of my dreams on top of the cistern. He used new lumber and  discarded windows  .

Kevin, who is married to my daughter Lissa,  is a skilled carpenter who used to work on bridge construction over the Missouri River and busy highways in all weather. Now he works for himself and is much in demand. Lissa does the plumbing. 


Here it is in February, seen from the back deck. Kevin found these old sheet metal pieces for the roof out behind the chicken coop with other things the former owners left behind. 

My contribution was to replace the clear glass in this stained glass frame that had been in my workshop, looking promising, since I moved here.  This is the north side of the greenhouse. Kevin found this old siding down in one of the outbuildings. It gives the place the look of an adorable tiny house, 9 x 9 feet. 

The greenhouse was finished in the spring. I got busy with the garden and flowers. Now that it's nearly fall again, I will do some more work in readiness for next spring. Then, I used water-filled kitty litter jugs to support the proper black bench tops. I know, it was tacky.

These polycarbonate panels on the right were from a greenhouse kit that I ordered in 2009. I thought because I had been a sheet metal mechanic for a major airline in 1976, it would be within my scope to assemble the extruded aluminum frame. I was wrong. 

The big window on the left was one Kevin  took out for a remodeling job because it had fogged. For a greenhouse, foggy is fine. 

At present, some houseplants that like the heat of the tropics are living in the greenhouse. 

We shall see if greenhouse benches are something I can manage. If not, there are lots of kitty litter jugs around.