Saturday, June 1, 2019

It's a Jungle Out Here

Mother Nature has been over-watering most of the month. Some things like it, like trees, weeds and frogs.

Even some trees have had enough, though.  These are the tops of  tall trees that used to be on the far side of the Grand River. Now they are in the river.

It all happened in a few days. On Tuesday, there were heavy rains to the north. The ground was already saturated. On Wednesday, the river was across the road and into the bottom land fields. The water crossed those fields upriver and then rejoined it by the bridge. It appears to be a large lake with a boat launch ramp.

This bridge is normally is high above the river. On my side, the elevation is greater, but it is over my paths. I assume so, because I can't get down there. My hopes are high that the poison ivy has been killed by the scouring waters.

It's been too wet to mow or pull weeds. The ground was squishy underfoot and mud splattered up from the grass. The veggies I planted are sickly. The irises seemed to like it and produced lots of blooms. The peonies did well until that day of recurring torrential rains.

I'm happy to report the river crested last night, but I don't think the road will be seen anytime soon. Imagine a gravel road at the bottom of a deep muddy river. The prognosis is not good.

In desperation, I have taken up growing flowers in containers. Lis helped me get this all together.  Izzy and Carolyn brought me plants for my birthday. I made a trip to the greenhouse for more, with my birthday money from Chris. My family  knows what I love. The plants all huddled together on the dining room table during the thunderstorms.

I also got a razor sharp hoe that I am itching to use, as soon as the ground dries out a bit. I am hopeful because it's been three days without a thunderstorm.