Tuesday, August 7, 2018

It's Really Dry

It's not just dry, we are experiencing moderate to severe drought in Missouri.

In early spring, I planned to hike up to where I saw a beautiful big wild Bergamot last year. The plan was to dig it up and  move it down to keep company with the other flowers. With this drought, I was glad I hadn't carried out such folly.

It was a wonderful surprise for me to come upon a great patch of those beautiful flowers growing in the field I no longer mow. I believe it was my reward for failing to mess with Nature.

Not only were they fabulous as a great drift of flowers, but they have held well in the vase as cut flowers.

They look like blue fireworks, but are longer-lasting and quieter. Left to their own devices, they survived nicely without extra watering.

Their leaves are aromatic, used to flavor Earl Grey tea. I believe I should have not tried to garden this year and just waited in the hammock until these members of the  Monarda family appeared. They seemed to be asking, "Drought, what drought?"