Tuesday, November 7, 2017

The End

It happens every year about this time. That doesn't mean that gardeners accept it graciously. It makes us sad.

Hard Frost pulls the plug on tender vegetation. In the past, I've delayed the inevitable with low hoops over plants. This year, I didn't fight it. Succumbing to Nature's will was easier.

These turnips didn't die, but they failed to ever develop roots. They didn't say if it was my belated thinning or just contrariness. They will be greens for the hens.

The same was also true for the winter radishes. Maybe it was the heat after I planted them. Whatever it was, there are no radishes, just leafy tops.

Overnight temperatures have dipped into the low twenties. Sunshine takes the chill off later in the day, if the sun decides to come out at all. We could still use some rain but so far only had a half inch of snow that remained overnight. It looked like frosting on the green grass.

The bees are ready to go into winter. I've left them with an extra super and put the hive entrance reducer in to keep mice out. Lis and I finished extracting and wound up with 53 pounds of honey this season.

The propane tank has been filled. I got fresh gas for the chain saw. The remnants of wood in the pile are only enough for a few fires. They are left over from last winter's supply, so I guess they are "over-summered."

I dug out the box of winter duds. My grandchildren say calling clothes "duds" is terribly funny. The flannel sheets are on the bed.

Fall gardening clean-up sounds better than pulling up the beloved dead bodies of plants I've cared for since early spring. I believe there should be persons of little feeling who go around and act as morticians for the stiffs.