Monday, March 27, 2017

Adequate Daffodils

Finally, I have enough daffodils.

How many are enough?  Some existing daffodils down by the woodland garden were crowded and scarcely bloomed. Given their own spot, they are happy and make my eyes glad. Behind them are Surprise Lilies.

Then there are some that I missed when I dug up entire daffodil plantings to replant. Unaware that they were hiding deep in the dirt, I moved some overgrown irises here, seen at lower right.

This is the peony and  daylily bed. The daffodils are the opening act for them. Surprise lilies are by the old wagon wheel. Those guys have bulbs the size of hard balls and probably not worth the effort it took to dig them up and replant them a foot deep. Like daffodils, they multiply like rabbits.

This is the hillside where I transplanted daffodils and daylilies last fall. I've left plenty of room for them to multiply. The cages are to let Beau know I did not create a spot for him to stretch out in the sunshine.

At last, we are getting lovely rain. The broccoli and cabbages are ready to transplant now. They weren't hardened off, due to the high  winds, for weeks. Now all is calm. Fortunately, during the dry spring I was able to till the spots where these will go; all I have to do is dig round holes in the wet soil and pop them in.

To answer the question of how many daffodils are enough, I would say seven separate beds and roughly two hundred bulbs. This bouquet is shown with the Bradford Pear, which is just as beautiful in bloom and a lot less work. Seen near the propane tank are old plantings of, surprise, Surprise Lilies.