Friday, August 19, 2016

The Fate of the Late Veggies


The beets should have been harvested weeks ago, if not more. In the past, I've grown Long Season Beets, but this year Harris Seeds sent an apology instead of seeds. It turned out that there was  a complete crop failure. Hmmm.

Consequently, I kept waiting for the Detroit beets to get bigger.  Some finally did. Taking a chance on them being tough and woody, I cooked them. They were tender and delicious, so now I have some to freeze.

The carrots were another story. Failing to harvest them in a timely manner hurt their feelings, leaving them embittered. After I'd planted, weeded, watered and otherwise spent lots of time on them, I couldn't just pull the puny things and put them directly into the compost. They fell into the category of not good enough to eat and too good to throw out.

The fridge was crammed full of other late veggies that I hadn't the heart or the appetite to eat. From a mere four broccoli plants, I froze 31 me-sized packages of  broccoli. I  ate quantities of them until I couldn't  face another bite. Even during the heat, they put on side shoots, which I dutifully picked. They were in the fridge, waiting to turn to compost. I finally stopped picking them. No doubt I shall be charged with veggie neglect.

Some late, somewhat rubbery green beans were sharing the same fate. I'd frozen plenty and even made some dilled green beans. God knows I've tried. Sob.

Since I knew I'd never eat any of them, I ran them all through the food processor and worked them into the soil where I'd pulled up some strapping big foxtails. Guilt eliminated.