Saturday, May 23, 2015

Stopping to Smell the Peonies

The various peony bushes called me to task for only showing them mostly in bud. They begged to have me show more pics of them now that they are in full bloom, vain beauties that they are.


Not only did I oblige, but I drew up a lawn chair, had a jar of iced tea with basswood honey and admired them heartily.

Another round of thunderstorms on the way made me want to appreciate them before the rain drove their pretty faces into the soil.
I believe this is the Shirley Temple. It looks like an enormous cabbage rose.

Red Magic has just come into bloom, well worth waiting for.

The recent rains made it imperative that I mow today, but I was transfixed and refused to budge.

Some of my many peony bouquets in the house had wilted. Putting them around the tomato plants for mulch freed up the vases for fresh blooms. I got as many of the at-risk peonies into vases as I could. What gorgeous flowers; no wonder they are a bit vain.





Does this seem excessive for dinner decor for one person? I didn't think so.