Friday, June 20, 2014

Fear of Mowing



Since the bees joined me here, I'm hesitant to mow. There are so many wildflowers that they may be working in the field . They've been spotted gathering pollen from the potentillas and nectar from the sweet yellow clover.

Meanwhile, the grass is now up to my shoulder, which is about four feet. Where I've mowed, the red clover is thriving. Honeybees aren't able to use it, an old beekeeper once told me, but the bumblebees are working it. I've even seen hummingbirds sipping nectar there. It benefits red clover to finally mow it, when it's mostly past blooming.
What happens when the field is left completely unmowed, as it was when I first moved here, is the fescue grass takes over. I mowed the huge clumps and the red clover got a start, along with the pretty wildflowers.


It has always been hard for me to mow any wild flowers, but now I am even more loathe to run over them with Rosie. However, Rosie is a suburban lawn tractor, not really designed for such field work, so I do need to get on with it.
That's all very well, but my cold feet for mowing means the front yard is similarly getting out of hand. This clover surely would be good for the bees, if only I knew how to call them to come and get it.  It's hard to know where the bees are concentrating their efforts. I have never really seen one doing the "bee dance" they talk about. I believe it is the pollenaise.