Friday, August 23, 2013

Flowers That Bloom in the Late Summer, Tra la

Sometimes, flowers in August are hard to come by, so these Surprise Lilies are especially welcome. They were planted by the former owners, who liked everything in straight rows like soldiers. They make a lovely bouquet. It's been a drought all summer, so everything that bloomed demanded lots of watering.

This is one of three butterfly bushes I planted that are now reaching full size. I had no idea they would attract butterflies! This year, I grew four more of the pink ones, from seed. Although only eighteen inches tall, they have their first flowers.


The fabulous front border annuals are brilliant. The perennials are in there somewhere. All are guzzling water.
Did I mention this was my first year to grow Gazanias? Each plant has a different color flowers. All insisted on being in the blog.
This variety is perennial, Sunshine Mix Improved.
All the Gazanias here are from one package of seed from Park Seed Company. I've been ordering from them for over thirty years.

Nearly ready to bloom are the sunflowers, which are now taller than the house. I was in error to call them Mammoth Russian Sunflowers, they are Black Russian Sunflowers. I planted them in honor of my many Russian readers. They are from Pinetree Garden Seeds.

This Datura that I transplanted from some volunteers waits to bloom until the sun is nearly down. The gorgeous blooms open in 45 minutes. It indicated that it was ready for a close-up.


I will gaze fondly at these pictures when Winter comes. Meanwhile, they are getting all the water they want in payment for being so beautiful.