Thursday, July 4, 2013

My Quiet Fireworks

It's time for the city folks to come to the country to make a lot of noise. I always pray for a rainy Fourth of July, but rarely get it. This year, at least  it's  not on a weekend. It probably never occurs to the invaders of peace that some of us live in the country because we love quiet.

No pyrotechnics for me, but I do have rather a colorful display here on Independence Day.
These beauties cause me to have a sharp intake of breath.  Oooh, ahh!











These Asiatic Lilies always bloom on the Fourth. This year, they are a little smaller because I transplanted them last fall and they haven't gotten as tall or bushy as they will get. The one in the foreground is a daylily that didn't want to be left out of the picture. Daylilies are getting to be the answer to the grassy weeds problem here and I no doubt will be planting more.



This clump of daylilies left by the former owners will be divided in the fall and planted with the ones along the cow fence in the garden. They are prettier than fireworks.
Red, white and blue, so patriotic.


















These are flowering tobacco, Nicotiana sylvestris, called Only the Lonely in some catalogs. This is a triumph for me, because my efforts to start them here for the last several years have not been successful. Once they get going, they will self-sow. Since I am a short woman, I'm impressed with tall flowers. They look like fireworks displays to me, and last a lot longer. They will bloom until frost. A much better value for the dollar and forty-five cents that I spent on seed.

Some of us really know how to celebrate the Fourth of July, although there are people who would argue that I didn't get a lot of bang for my buck.

P.S. The fireworks display from a town twenty miles away was awesome when viewed through my 4-inch telescope. The booms arrived later and only sounded like distant thunder.