Friday, January 4, 2013

Time to Pick Peas

With the Winter Solstice just passed and snow on the ground, it's time for me to pick peas.  Looking at the new seed catalogs on Christmas Day is a big treat for me, as I explained in An Odd Christmas Tradition, December 28, 2011.  In winter, this older woman's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of gardens.
What fun it is to get out the leftover packets and check them against my seed viability chart.

My gardening notes from last spring and summer make rather depressing reading.  Hardly anything succeeded after the last of June. We can usually count on the heat-lovers, tomatoes, corn and beans, to come through for us. The record heat and drought put a stop to all that.  Even veggies that soak up heat found it was all to much of a good thing.  They swooned and had to be carried from the field.

While the solar scientists try and make up their minds as to if Solar Cycle 24 has passed max, I'm betting the garden that it hasn't.  My prediction is we are in for another hot dry year.  Accordingly, I'm going to plant early varieties of the spring crops that did so well for me last year. Packman broccoli were prolific. Many await in the freezer.

Little Sweetie snow peas, from Stokes, were great.  I had plenty to eat and froze a few packages.  So now I'm looking for some regular peas to try. Wando peas are billed as being able to withstand drought and heat. When I finally understood what was meant by growing peas on brush, I've gotten good results.  If they had said grow them on sticks stuck into the ground, that would have been better.  "On brush" made me think they meant a brush pile of sorts, an idea too silly to try.

The more seed catalogs I reference, the more confused I become.  Mr. Big peas take 72 days to mature, according to one catalog, but only 58 in another.  One source says the vines will grow to six feet; the other says 30 inches!  Who to believe?

Then there was the Romanesco broccoli, the big green mound in the middle of the garden above.  It grew for months.  The seed packet said 80 days to maturity.  Somewhere else, I read it took much longer.  It took even longer than that. It never got a head.  I know the feeling.

I'm making my list and checking it twice for the annual trip to Planters' Seeds in Kansas City. Probably they will have the  appropriate pea seeds for our region. Meeting up with my daughters and grandkids there is the high point of late January.   Bulk seeds are such a great value.  We get several years' planting for the price of one package from some of the stingy seed companies.

Green Arrow peas look good, but I must decide if  little or big peas are what I want.  Back to the piles of seed catalogs. I'm looking forward to burning my mind to a crisp deciding on varieties.  My all-time favorites are already on my list:  Tom Thumb lettuces, Cocozelle zucchini, French Breakfast radishes, Long Season beets, among others. We gardeners are fearful we're missing out on some fabulous taste treat, so we keep adding to our repertoire.