Monday, April 23, 2012

Rowdy Neighbors

The cows decided to move back to the field on my side of the road. They took advantage of an open gate to explore the grazing opportunities on the gravel road. The first I heard of it was a lot of mooing, so I stepped over to the lily bed at the crest of the hill. There I could see that the cows were unaccompanied, not a good sign.

A few minutes later, the cow guy drove his truck back from over the yonder hill and found his charges had all vacated their green pasture. By then, they had wandered into the yard of the rental house down at the corner, where they were milling about waiting for the gate to open. Those folks don't have any vegetable garden or flowers, preferring to race around and around the house on four-wheelers, so probably there was no harm done to their yard.

The cow guy made several attempts to drive the herd of about thirty cows, calves and one bull back across the road and through the gate. Finally, he came to the obvious conclusion that one person can't herd cattle. He opened the gate on this side of the road and they poured into the field in an orderly fashion. None of the last-second pivoting and breaking away that they had perfected earlier.

My house is close to their fence, so it takes me a while to get used to seeing them as sort of part of my summer living room. The cows come up in the afternoons to stand around in the shade and see what I'm up to in the garden. There have been socially incorrect moments when I have come out with a steak for the barbeque.

The herd was out in the field yesterday when something spooked them. They came as close to running as cows can, sort of a speed walk. After a while, I noticed some birds diving at something and saw it was a small coyote. It probably was after meadowlarks' nests. The coyote ambled up and over the hill.

Nighttime Coyote Noises Off

Just after dark, a great cry of joy is heard coming from the coyote pack. I have the same feeling when waiting for it to get dark enough to stargaze. Night, at last!

To start the night, the pack must howl and yip and run. They are very fast. If I hear them close by, across the road, they will be gone before I can grab the big flashlight and step out on the porch. One night recently, I heard them as they made a run through the back yard. The cats were safe on the high deck, which has no steps. They were wide-eyed and eager to come inside.

The Lone Coyote

In the early mornings, I have seen one big coyote. One time, I stepped out on the side porch to watch him. Loping across the field, he spotted me. He made a wide u-turn, then went back the way he came. He seemed to be saying, "Better not risk it, these country folks are so gun-happy."

I've watched him through binoculars and found him to be magnificent, not long-legged and scruffy like some coyotes. Telling my daughter Lissa about him, I said he looked more like a wolf or a German Shepherd. She offered that maybe it was a German Shepherd.

So I thought maybe I might call him, but feared I would be known locally as Whistles at Coyotes.