Monday, February 13, 2012

Cottage Garden Plan B

This is a dangerous time of year for the gardener. Chomping at the bit to get growing, we are at risk of making extravagant plans. Okay, grandiose plans. It's the nature of the gardener to want to fill all available space with blooms or veggies. We can't help it.

A couple of mornings ago, I came up with a new strategy for creating the cottage garden in the front yard, or in place of the front yard. Simplicity itself, it called for digging up some perennial flowers that have, like me, gotten carried away.

When I grew the Shasta Daisies from seed, I failed to take into account what enormous plants they would become in a short time. I planted one next to my special Diana Princess of Wales rose. Miss Daisy Clump acted like a camera hog, stayed green with envy all winter and is even now itching to get bigger and elbow out the more elegant Diana.

The two-inch spindly yarrows didn't look like they would survive transplanting out of the small six-packs. They promptly grew bushy and tall, making me vow to never plant those tiny seeds again.

Despite Claims to the Contrary

Penennials are great for coming back annually. However, wild promises that they bloom for extended periods in spring or summer are untrue. They outgrow their locations, moodily bloom less and less, then demand a new bed. Most are an absolute bear to dig up and divide. It can be done, usually by persons with more energy than good sense, which is where I come in. I believe a backhoe would be useful.

My plan of attack is to utilize these strapping specimens in hopes that they may hold their own against the nasty grasses.

The same day that I came up with the Invasive Perennial Relocation Program, I went ahead and planted some more Shasta Daisy and Gold Yarrow seeds under grow lights.

While I was at it, I planted some datura seeds. They're an annual that really took off and took over last summer, from a single plant. The huge white trumpets opening in the late afternoon were spectacular. At dusk, they attracted sphinx moths, which are so big they look like hummingbirds.

This time, I won't plant the daturas where they will lounge all over the foundation yews and part of the front porch. That's good news for the yews.