Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Winter Solstice

Tonight's the night!  I'm sure all gardeners feel this inexorable pull toward springtime.  Back to Life and Living!  Yay.

This is where denial is such a handy tool.  To say that it is the first day of winter is to miss the point entirely.  The earth, after some hesitation, will slowly start to tilt back towards the sun for us in the northern hemisphere.  Too bad for people in the southern hemisphere; they've had their turn.

Every day is a day closer to spring, that most marvelous time of year.

How wonderful that some astronomer or scientist somewhere knows the exact time this will happen tonight.  It's a mathematical certainty, along with when the moon will rise and set.  I leave it to those guys.

Having checked the Old Farmer's Almanac, I am counting down the hours.  The wine is chilling.

I am saving the rest of the celebration for Christmas Day, when I break out the new seed catalogs.